Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Race Itself


The BC Bike Race is a seven day stage race that starts in North Vancouver, traverses Vancouver Island, and ends in Whistler.  The total race is comprised of approximately 240 miles and 35,000 ft of ascending. This is not necessarily one of the longest stage races, but it's known as the "ultimate singletrack experience" and is more technical than most other stage races; this is precisely the reason why I chose this race.  I figured I don't have a chance racing on smooth fire roads (i.e. roadie delight), but on the BC singletrack terrain I might have a slight chance of not embarrassing myself too badly.  Plus, I figured this race would be a lot of fun no matter what happens!  If you want to see pictures from last year's race, click here.

Race Details

Here are the locations of the stages:



Full details on the stages can be found here:  http://www.bcbikerace.com/the-stages

There are a few different classes of results - Solo, Duo, Masters, and Men/Women respectively.  I'm not an old man just yet and I'm racing alone, so I'll be racing in the competitive "Solo Men" class.  There will awards each day for each stage and then the overall awards on the final night.

In addition to the overall standing, there is a special "Enduro" race within the race.  This race is comprised of timed downhill sections of the course that are more technical in nature.  This is where I'll be wishing that I was not on my XC race bike but on a more downhill oriented bike (mine will be resting peacefully in my garage).  I'm not sure how much risk I'll take in these sections, especially in the  early stages.  I have to remind myself that my goal is to finish the race and earn the belt buckle souvenir.


Accommodations

Camping!  Yes, we will be sleeping in tents.  Most riders will be sharing a tent with one other rider.  As for me, Jannice decided to volunteer so I get to share a tent with her (thank heavens!).  Jannice decided to volunteer shortly before the race and they were only looking for people help with tent setup.  Needless to say, Jannice will be a professional "tent-setter-upper" by the end of the race!  Personally, I think riding 240 miles would be easier.  = )


Food

We won't be roughing it for food.  The race organizers realize how important nutrition is to the race.  Obviously, they're are going to be a lot of hungry people.  They are seriously cooking some really good food.  The meal package was a $400 option, but not having to worry about food and the tasty menu made this decision easy.  Here's a sample of the menu:




I think that pretty much sums up the race itself...and I need to eat something after reading the menu.  Stay tuned for the next post on the gear and bike for the race.




4 comments:

  1. Jeff, I read some of the links and the Pink Bike article. I'm excited for you and jealous/relieved that I'm not doing it too. I can't wait for your race reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, really excited for you as well. so happy you are blogging, much appreciated! Can't wait. the pictures look phenomenal.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice write up JJ. I look forward to reading all your adventures. Sorry I'm missing it.

    ReplyDelete