Sunday, June 30, 2013

Stage One is DONE.


Stage 1 -  Fun, Hard, and Hot.

Well, glad to get stage one out of the way!  I got the first obligatory crash out of the way early too.  Not as early as the two riders that crashed at about 25 MPH on the road leading out of town.  Anyway, a rider in front of me on a Bronson slipped while crossing a wet wood bridge.  Instinctively, I jumped on the brakes and slipped also, and then went down.  I jokingly told the guy I was trying to make him feel better by crashing too.

After some bad cramping, riding the top tube down a rocky descent, dabbing over wet roots, and two missed trails, I ended the day in 31st overall with a finishing time of 3:15.  I was the sixth finisher from the U.S.  I really don’t have a goal for a finishing position, but a top 30 would be nice.  I ended up finishing 24th in the Enduro stage.

Trail conditions were wet, despite no rain in a few days.  The weather is warm and humid.  As the day heats up, you can feel the moisture coming out of the mud.  Oh, and the trails are ridiculously awesome.

Enduro!!  I think most riders agreed these sections were much rowdier than expected.  To compare, some sections were like a wet T&A (the trail you perverts).  The first one was particularly tough.  I felt better on this one and didn’t have many riders in front of me.  Without knowing the lines and riding it blind, I took some lines and drops that probably would void my warranty.  Go figure.  All said, the Epic took it!  Oh, and I missed a trail during the Enduro.  Lastly, way more climbing during the Enduro sections than I was expecting..

We’re off to Campbell River for stage two in the morning.  I’m trying to recover here by sitting in the shade and propping my legs up.  

For stage 1, I figured I'd wear a jersey from the bike shop where it all started for me -  The Bike Haven in McHenry, IL.  It's now owned by an old friend of mine!




And we're off....  If look closely, you can see me.  = )



The "after" photo from stage 1.  Hot and muddy!



Tent City - our home away from home for the next 6 days. 







No comments:

Post a Comment