Monday, June 17, 2013

Intro: So I decided to do a stage race...

For those who know me, I've been riding bikes since I was a kid.  During grade school we pretty much rode our BMX bikes all summer long and then to school during the school year.  At one point I even raced BMX (I took first and this trophy is still the biggest one I have!).  In high school I bought my first mountain bike.  I rode occasionally during my early college years in Normal, IL when I wasn't partying or studying (cough cough).  If you ever want to ride flat corn fields, search no further than Central Illinois.

Fast forward to 2003.  I was living in Southern California and quickly realized the popularity of mountain biking.  I kept hearing about how great the trails were in the area and my interest was revived.  After doing a little bit of research, I headed to Supergo with my good friend Russ to buy a bike.  I went home with a Cannondale Jekyll 1000 (Lefties are soooo cool!!).  My passion for cycling was officially on the burner.

Over the next several years I rode more and more slowly falling in love with the adrenaline rush, fitness, challenge, and journey that mountain biking offered.  I took many trips to popular trails throughout the West and even made it to Whistler, BC in 2011.  By 2009 I was starting to race in some different disciplines, but primarily Super D in Fontana, CA (aka Fontucky).  I quickly learned that I generally did better on technical and longer courses.  For those not familiar with Super D, it is a longer downhill race that typically requires a good level of fitness to be competitive.  Essentially, it's a race for the best all-around rider.

Sometime in 2010 I decided to sign-up for a local endurance race called the Counting Coup (44 miles with 8,200 ft ascending in the Santa Ana mountains).  This was the first time I attempted to compete in an endurance race.  I surprised myself by finishing in the top 25 out of 150+ riders.  I loved this race...  It was tough, fun, and required a certain level of mental focus that is not typically required in everyday life.  After this race, I started to believe that I had more "natural" ability to compete in longer events.

Enter the 2013 BC Bike Race...  By 2012 I was really starting to enjoy longer rides and races, and of course, riding more technical terrain.  I heard about the BC Bike Race and how it was a seven day stage race that consisted of mostly more technical singletrack trails.  After spending some time in Whistler, BC in 2011, I knew what the trails would be like and how much I would love doing this race.  Registration opened in July of 2012 and with the blessing of my boss (my supportive wife), I registered.  Originally, my good friend Russ and I were planning on racing together as a very dynamic duo, but plans changed and I'll be rolling solo.  So, this is the start of my little blog to share my little story of the 2013 BC Bike Race experience.  Race starts on 7/30/2013...stay tuned.




1 comment:

  1. For those of you who do know him, here's something that'll make you laugh: that faithful trip to Supergo bike shop was met with reluctance to "spend $2000 on a bike". His words.

    I'm glad he did, because years later he's inspired me with his hard work and dedication to doing what he loves...and his collection of bikes that makes his original investment look like a trip to the candy shop. :)

    ReplyDelete